The James Bay region is emerging as one of the world’s major lithium districts. A growing list of mining companies have staked tenements in the region due to its abundance of lithium discoveries, established infrastructure and proximity to North America’s burgeoning battery manufacturing industry.
The project is surrounded by several major lithium developments including:
- Abitibi Hub: 119.1Mt @ 1.1% Li2O).
- Whabouchi Lithium Deposit: 53.6Mt @ 1.5% Li2O).
- James Bay Lithium Deposit: 40.3Mt @ 1.4% Li2O).
- Rose Lithium Deposit: 34.2Mt @ 0.9% Li2O).
- Moblan Lithium Deposit: 16.1Mt @ 1.4% Li2O).
Recent Exploration Success
In addition there has been some recent exploration success for ASX listed explorers including:
- Patriot Battery Metals who have reported and intercept of 156.9m @ 2.12% Li₂O at their Corvette Project;
- Winsome Resources who have reported an intercept of 107.6m @ 1.34% Li₂O at their Adina Project and 26m @ 1.6% Li₂O from their Cancet Project; and
- Cygnus Metals who have commenced a resource drill out at their Pontax Lithium Project located just 18km from the JB1 Lithium Project where results include 9m @ 1.7% Li₂O.
JB1 highly-prospective for lithium-pegmatites.
- JB1 consists of two granted claim blocks for 190km2 and although the area is highly-prospective for lithium-bearing pegmatites similar to those at the nearby Rose Lithium Deposit (34.2Mt @ 0.9% Li2O) the area has never been explored for lithium.
- Limited exploration includes 12 holes for 1,328m with none of the holes targeting lithium mineralisation. Despite this 10 of the 12 holes intersected pegmatites with over 12m of pegmatite logged in drill hole 555-10. None of these holes were assayed for lithium.